Thursday, May 1, 2008

The Shepherd Shines

Lately, I have not been taking my dear dog shopping as had been the case. Since she became 'sick as a dog' I've left her at home. I'm rarely gone more than 2 hours, so it's never been any kind of problem. Today, I decided to try to take her. Her arthritis makes it a little difficult for her to get into the car.
It did take her a few minutes to get in. Instead of just jumping up on to the seat, she hesitates, then, not wanting to disappoint me (and not really wanting to stay home alone) first steps on to the car floor, and then up to the seat.
For all the years we've been together, whenever I reach the first destination, I always walk her; and she always has plenty of 'business' to do. It was refreshing and comforting to hear her tell me she wanted to go, and even more so when she jumped out and performed as well as ever. I think it's something about being confined in motion that stimulates her bladder and bowels.
Some kids were skateboarding outside the supermarket, and just as she had always done before, she pulled me over to them so she could nuzzle them and be petted in return. The kids were appreciative of her show of affection also, and reciprocated in kind. If this is an example of 'going to the dogs', perhaps it should be forced upon all humans.
Yes, the dog was tired by the time we got home - she actually slept for an extra 2 hours - but it felt really good having her with me during a shopping trip. She never waits in the car for more than a half hour (and the window is always open, with a small bowl of water on the floor.)
That great German Shepherd of mine really shined today.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: