Sunday, April 27, 2008

My German Shephed is 'Sick as a Dog'

Like most people, I'm not fond of needless and too frequently over-used cliches. But I am being educated right now as to where they originated; and my shepherd is indeed, sick as a dog. The vet is not giving her much time, certainly 6 months max.
She has arthritis, diagnosed over a year ago, and, with her 'dogged determination' she continued to struggle, and fight, and take my friendship and love, and give me hers.
Her desire to walk never waned, and we continue to walk three, sometimes four times a day. Despite the pain she's in, she'll pull like a horse to go over to a playing child to lick his face and then sit down to be petted. She only occasionally lays down now, rolling over by that child to get her belly rubbed. That, folks, is unbridled trust. We do walk a little more slowly than before. She gets 'dog tired' more quickly now, gives me her big eye pleading for forgiveness, then, after a couple of minutes rest, gets up and goes on, moving forward.
She knows she's 'sick as a dog.'

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: